Thursday, March 6, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Vintage Shoes

If there's one era I tend to gravitate towards, it's the mod 60s. My decor is very graphic and retro in nature, and I do like a lot of the clothes and accessories from that time too, such as Emilio Pucci's designs. From time to time I will check out eBay to look for some vintage finds. Several years ago I happened to stumble upon these purple and lavender cherry heels, one of my most treasured pairs.


They were "deadstock" (merchandise that was never sold to or used by consumers before being removed from sale, usually because it was outdated) and in pristine condition.  The original sticker price tag of $12.95 was still on them and the brand stamped inside says "Inspired by Mr. Alfred".  I don't remember what I paid for them, but I know it wasn't much, maybe $20 + shipping.  A very short while later I found a vintage dress that couldn't match these shoes more perfectly, again for just a few dollars.  I did have to take it to a tailor to be shortened a few inches, but otherwise it was another terrific find.



When looking for vintage shoes on eBay, I would recommend looking for barely worn or deadstock as those will be in the best condition for a new person wearing them.  More worn in shoes might not be so comfortable as they have already conformed to someone else's feet.  I would search on color and size for starters, and then style if you are looking for a particular one.  Also, sign up for the daily emails of your searches to keep tabs on what's out there without having to spend a lot of time actually being on eBay.  Last but not least - be patient.  Fabulous finds like these come to those who wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find Me