Saturday, February 8, 2014

Expensive Taste: Decadent vs. Deal

Although I love shoes, I'm not into expensive designer shoes.  They are shoes:
a) I cannot afford
b) which will wear out, get scuffed, break a heel, etc., just like any other pair of shoes
c) when I add up how many pairs I could get at let's say $50/pair for the same price, I would rather have the quantity instead of overpriced footwear.
Bottom line, I don't pay much attention to designer shoes or to the Hollywood folk that wear them.  That is why you will rarely see anything priced above $150 on this blog, most being in the $40 to $75 range.  I am a shoe addict, yes, but I would consider myself a "practical" shoe addict with a style that's all my own.

About a year ago I surprised myself when I began to realize the hint of expensive taste I have lurking behind my cheap footwear.  On Pinterest I will pin to my "Shoes" board regardless of the photo being from a designer or a discount store, and anything else in between.  I started to come across very similar shoes that I already had in my closet, not knowing they were designer inspired when I bought them.

This was the first pair I noticed it on.  I had purchased the "Sahara" shoe by Scene last year (no longer available, was $39.95 VIP, $44.95 non-VIP from ShoeDazzle).  Afterwards I found Valentino's "Rockstud" which retails at the low, low price of $1075 at Valentino.com.  What's the difference?  I don't see much in the style except for the slingback strap being studded on the Rockstud, and not on the Sahara.  In fact I prefer Sahara due to the strange angle the sides of the toe area connect to the sole on the original Valentino version.  Sahara is also vegan, a plus for me.  I'm not a vegan, but with synthetic materials being the quality that they are today, I don't see a need to wear real leather on my feet.  Sahara's studs are not of the same quality but if need be you could easily repaint them.  At a savings of $1035.05, score one for the addict-affordable version of these edgy shoes.


I've found others I really like that are available for purchase now.  Take this tribal inspired duo, "Savanna" by L.A.M.B. (Gwen Stefani's shoe line - $324.99 from heels.com) vs. "Kit" by Paper Fox ($48.95 VIP, $54.95 non-VIP from ShoeDazzle).  Again, I prefer the low-end vegan version.  I like the triangular pattern on Kit much better than Savanna's.  The eyelets on the two shoes should be reversed (says the artist in me) to better match the black and white patterns, but they were meant to be slightly mismatched for whatever reason.  I can attest to Kit running about a half size small, and being a shoe for only those with small to average ankles.  Because the straps across the front do not adjust it dictates the size of those people who can wear them.  Savings on this one? $276.04, or 5 pairs of shoes.


I have a passion for mod fashion and its inherent graphic nature.  These booties definitely fit that bill.  On the left we have Gianvito Rossi's "Geometric Cutout Bootie" ($1168 from Avenue K) and on the right is "Julienn" from N.Y.L.A. ($54.95 from DSW).  These are so close in style, I can't say I have a preference for one over the other.  Again the low end pair is a mix of faux leather and faux suede.  It also has a slightly thicker and probably a bit more stable heel.  The $1113.05 price difference between the two is staggering.  


When you compare these shoes side by side, are you able to justify paying the price tag of the expensive pair when the one next to it is such a steal?  It would be nice to own a pair of authentic designer shoes, but I know I wouldn't splurge.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm, I am not able to spend that much money on a pair of shoes, designer or not! And I kinda like the non-designer ones a bit more too!

    ReplyDelete

Find Me