Friday, January 3, 2014

New Shoe Review: Hello Kitty Meets T.U.K.

I was so excited when I received an email that the Sanrio site was selling limited edition Hello Kitty shoes from T.U.K. - a brand of shoes that I love.  There are 4 "Hello Kitty x T.U.K." styles, and they are all "creepers".  They range in price from $90 (the mary janes) to $100 (the mondo creepers).  I love them all, but which one to choose??


I had a little extra holiday cash to spend on myself this year, so after much contemplation I decided to treat myself to a pair of the black mary jane creepers via Sanrio (they are also now available for purchase via the T.U.K. site, Amazon, Sourpuss Clothing, and a couple other sites).  I even had a coupon for free shipping, making this deal all that much sweeter.



When I opened the box, I swear I let out a squee.  They are just too cute!  I adore a mary jane to begin with, and a mary jane with hello kitty on it?!!!?  You cannot go wrong!  The inside is adorned with a red and white bow pattern - just too cute!  I unbuckled them to put them on, and all my happiness went out the door.

I normally wear a 6.5 shoe, and I have to go up to a 7 in T.U.K. as they only produce whole sizes.  I ordered a 7 and these were HUGE on me.  I was able to put my entire thumb behind my heel.  I don't even think going down to a 6 would work in this case; possibly the 5 would work but I would want to try them on in a store before I would decide to purchase them again.

My other disappointment with the shoes is the weight of them.  They're very heavy, almost 4 lbs for a size 7 pair.  The nearly 1.75" platform is nice to have for someone who loves heels, but for the weight of them I'd prefer to have a much smaller sole.

They ended up getting returned and sadly Sanrio did not have a smaller size for me to exchange them with.  Due to that weight I mentioned before, it cost me a lot to return them - nearly $20, and the cheapest method I found was UPS ground.  I wanted to save others from having to be in the same predicament that I was with these shoes, so I even spent the time to write a detailed review for the Sanrio site.  I don't think they liked it much because almost 2 weeks later it still is not published.

If you decide you want a pair to join your collection, I would strongly suggest that you find them in a store to try on before buying them (if possible).  Luckily I already have an adorable pair of Hello Kitty heels (style name "Louisa") that I obtained through JustFab in 2012.  These are more my style anyway. ;)

5 comments:

  1. The Mary Janes are cute, but I don't like the super thick soles, really not my thing!
    Those other HK heels on the other hand, they are very much more my thing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you on the thick soles. I thought I'd give them a try, but in the long run I'm kind of glad the sizing was so off. I don't think I would have worn the shoes much had they been sized properly due to the sheer weight of them.

      Delete
  2. So good of you to share your experience! I would have been bummed out big time to have bought shoes that not only weigh a ton, but run really big, too.
    Super lame of Sanrio to not publish your review. Isn't that the whole idea of reviews? The heels look uber cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks on the heels! I wish Sanrio published my review just for the simple fact of saving other people from going through what I did for the shoes. I rarely come across shoes where the sizing is that off.

      Delete
  3. I love my hello kitty heels but I was really looking forward to a casual pair of HK shoes that are still a bit dressy. The TUK shoes were very disappointing to say the least, but maybe Sanrio will partner with another shoe company in the future and we'll get what we're looking for. *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete

Find Me